Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Why Do I LOVE Linens

I'm not at all sure what it is about old linens, fabric and textiles that make my heart go pitter-patter. I'm not at all sure why every time I see one, it catches my eye and makes me think of all the wonderful things that it could be made into.
Is it the COLORS? Is it that it has SURVIVED all these years, uncut, unaltered, unfinished just begging to come home with me and made into something gorgeous? Or is it that I FEEL THE NEED to have it passed onto someone else that will give it a good home and see it's potential like I did? Who knows, all I know is that I should learn to sew, I should learn to turn these pieces of the past into something BRILLIANT! I know I can do it, it's in my blood. My Mother, is an accomplished seamstress, sewing for some of the most influential people in our town. She sewed all of our clothes growing up. My Grandmother and all of my aunt sew. I just can seem to get up the courage to begin. It is my goal this year to give it a try. My 14 year old daughter has learned to sew in the last 6 months and I am amazed at what she is making. Oh, to learn to sew....IT MAKES ME A BIT NERVOUS because I am afraid I might end up LOVING the old stuff even more.

1 comment:

LA said...

Oh my goodness! I, too, want to learn to sew but found it frightening at the same time. I have the machine and a stack of fabrics. Now I need to open the box!